The fund, which is Sri Lanka’s first equity focused unit trust with a track record of over 29 years, recorded an impressive return of 14.9% for the year ending 31 December 2020 whereas the ASPI recorded a return of 10.5% during the same period.
Commenting on the performance, NAMAL’s Director/CEO Rusiru Abeyasinghe said: “The performance of the National Equity Fund further endorses our cohesive investment philosophy of investing in companies with sound business models, high caliber management and strong medium term growth prospects.”
NAMAL’s investment team is focused on actively managing the equity portfolio of the fund by constantly engaging with management of listed companies and other stakeholders to seek investment opportunities and proactively timing entry to and exit from stocks. The National Equity Fund is a balanced fund which takes a maximum exposure of 80% to the stock market whilst balancing risks via fixed income investments with the remaining 20% of the fund.
Speaking about the opportunity for investors Abeyasinghe said: “The National Equity Fund offers investors an ideal avenue to obtain professionally managed stock market exposure. It is a vehicle for busy professionals to obtain better returns on their stock portfolio without being worried about missing out on opportunities in the market due to their busy lifestyle. Further the fund offers investors exposure to a diverse portfolio of stocks which an individual investor would normally not be able to achieve in the market. Additional information on the fund and its performance can be obtained either though the NAMAL website or by speaking to our wealth managers.”
NAMAL also manages the NAMAL High Yield Fund, a money market unit trust which provides investors with an alternative route to obtaining better returns on their savings.
National Asset Management Ltd. is a subsidiary of Union Bank of Colombo PLC and an associate of DFCC Bank PLC.